Saturday, February 10, 2007

Class Discussion 2.8.2007

In class we began a few discussions spawned off the topic of controversial scienctific and technologicals procedures. Stem Cell research was an obvious choice that was brought up, as it is undoubtley the "hottest" one in modern times. It was an interesting session espcially for me because being raised in a catholic household and attending church has pushed for the stoppage of stem-cell research. The side of me that is interested in technology and science wants to dive deeper into research and explore where the possibilites lead. What the in-class discussion is lend to me was updated knowledge. What I knew about stem cell research was that it had to be derived from an unborn fetus. So in the eyes of many it was destroying a life to possibly help another. What I learned on Thursday however was alternative ways of harvesting cells that are usuable for research. Cells extracted from the umbalical cord or from amniotic fluid in the placenta. This way research can be done and preserve all unborn life.
This is an intriguing procedure because it silences all critics that state religious beliefs in protest. I am fully for stem cell research in the sense that it does not terminate a possible life. I am unaware of all the possible outcomes that stem cell research can provide, but I am positive that they could save lives. Even if they do not save lives, but rather improve them I am eager to explore. However, the binding fact is that they do not end a possible life. If they are harvested from a piece of flesh or body that is unused I think it is a scientifical advantage that should be utilized.

No comments: