Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Vision

Today we had two presentations about two different technologies that I am indifferent about. The first dealt with LASIK eye surgery, which is now a fairly common procedure that corrects vision. The main positive about this surgery is it allows the patient to see clearly without the help of glasses or contacts. There are some risks involved and the results are not guarenteed to last. In fact there are some cases where it had deterotatied enough where the patient had to have the surgery again within a year. The other negative is the cost, which ranges from $500-$1500 per eye.
I have perfect vision without glasses at the moment, but realize that it will not last forever and glasses will be inevitable as I age. However, when that decision is needed to be made is when I become uncertain. I am not 100% sure that I would go ahead with the surgery. The thought of losing my eyesight still sits in the back of my mind. I realize the success rate is extremely good and that it has become fairly routine to perform. The pictures of the operation and the position that the patient's eye resembles a medivial torture device. The eye lids are spread apart and the eye is fully exposed giving the impression that they are in extreme terror. However, to counter it I have been told how I take the ability to wake up and immediately see for granted.
Perhaps I will only completely understand all of the components that attribute to the final decision to go through this procedure when I am faced with blurry vision. At the moment, I just feel that it is not worth the risk of losing all vision when I find immense entertainment in observing nature and film. However it could all change if I need Coke bottles to capture these images.

No comments: